The amount of Council Tax payable may be reduced in certain situations.
"Single Person" Discount
If there is only one adult who has their main home in a dwelling, there is a 25% discount off the Council Tax bill for every day that this applies.
To claim single person discount, click on council tax single person discount. You'll need to print off the form, because you have to sign it.
If you're getting the discount, but are not entitled to it, please read what we're doing about incorrect claims for discount
"Disregarded Persons" Discount
Some adults are not counted for Council Tax purposes. A discount is allowed on the Council Tax bill if the number of adults counted as living in the property is one. The Council Tax is then discounted by 25% for the period this applies.
The following groups of people may be not counted (subject to the necessary proof being provided):-
- Persons in detention
- The Severely Mentally Impaired (Dwellings wholly occupied by people who are severely mentally impaired are exempt from council tax - see Exemptions below)
- Persons in respect of whom Child Benefit is in payment
- School and College leavers
- Full time Students including 18 and 19 year olds still at school (Dwellings wholly occupied by students are exempt from council tax -see Exemptions)
- Student nurses / Project 2000 nurses
- Youth training trainees
- Persons resident in nursing or care homes
- Care workers
- Care providers - caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
- Residents of hostels for the homeless or night shelters
- Religious Community Residents
- Members and dependants of visiting forces
- Persons with diplomatic privileges or immunities
To apply for a reduction, click on Council Tax - Discount for 'Disregarded' Persons, answer the relevant questions, and we will e-mail you a form to print, sign and return to us along with any documentation required.